縁起

遍照院縁起
958年 智空僧正 創建
The History of Henjoin Temple
---founded by Chiku Sojo in AD 958

当院は神遊山神宮寺遍照院と称し、残された記録によれば、花山天皇の御叡願により寛和元年   (西紀985年)智空僧正の開創せられた真言宗御室(おむろ)派寺院であり、延久元年     (西紀1069年)後三条天皇の勅願所に列せられた。
According to the surviving records, this temple, Shinyusan Jinguji Henjoin, was founded by Chiku Sojo(the highest rank of Buddhist priest) of the Shingon School’s Omuro Sect at the behest of Emperor Kazan in the first year of the Kanna Era (AD 985), and was raised to an Imperial prayer place of the Emperor Gosanjo in the first year of Enkyu (AD 1069).

ご本尊は十一面観世音菩薩、総高5尺1寸、一木彫の霊仏である。往古は31ヶ寺の末寺を有する 当地方に於ける唯一の真言宗御室派直末の中本寺中本寺であった。天正年間には毛利家より寺領2千石を与えられ、伽藍完備し、寺運も興隆したが、その後時勢の推移により寺門も次第に衰微するに 至る。後に徳川江戸時代には領主池田家より寺領50石を与えられ、末寺も江戸末期には23ヶ寺となった。昭和初年には18ヶ寺を有したが、寺社法が変更されたことに伴い、現在は末寺を持たない御室派別格本山に列する。
Honzon (the principal image) is the Eleven-faced Kannon, a statue 1.55 meters tall, carved from one tree. In old times, the temple was the only chuhonji(intermediate-head temple)of the Shingon Omuro Sect in the district, having 31 branch temples. In the era of Tensho, feudal lord Mori donated an estate of 2000 goku to the temple; and the temple prospered with many monastery buildings erected in its large precinct. However, as times changed, the temple’s fortunes gradually declined. In the Tokugawa period, federal Lord Ikeda donated an estate of 50 goku to the temple, and its branch temples counted 23. By the first year of the Showa Era (1926) it still had 18 branch temples, but along with the changes of the Jisha-ho(laws of temples and shrines), it has become a quasi-head temple of the Shingon Omuro Sect, without branch temples.

創立以後、数度の火災や水害のため、什宝物書類が流出し、正確な古記録を残さぬことは残念であるが、広大な境内とその堂塔伽藍の配置を見るにつけても格式高い遍照院の昔の面影をよく偲ぶことができる。
Since its foundation, the temple suffered several fires and floods, and many of its treasured articles and documents were lost. While it is a pity that its exact historical records do not survive, its large precinct and the placement of the temple buildings help us picture the prestigious Henjoin temple of olden times.

=========
聖観音立像 (県指定重要美術品)
Standing image of Sho Kannon (aaraya avalokitesvara in Sanskrit)
--- Prefectural Important Art Object

本堂内安置。檜材の一木造りで、総高90糎、肩幅24糎、荷葉座を含めて101糎、頭髪はまばら彫で、耳をおおう毛にも毛彫はせず、天冠を掘り起こしている。目の線、お顔の豊かな感じ、また童顔を思わせる顔に比べて、腰から下の重厚な趣がこの像の落ち着きを与えている。天衣の一部、左手、右手首、両足先などは後補であるが、像全体に藤原中期の作風がよく出ている。
Enshrined in the main hall. The statue, 90 cm tall or 101cm tall including the lotus pedestal, with shoulder width of 24 cm, is carved out of one piece of hinoki wood. Lines are sparsely engraved on the hair, and a crown is carved on the head. While the line of the eyes and the well-rounded face remind us of a child, the lower solidity creates an air of dignity. A portion of the robe, the left hand, the right wrist, and the toes were added later. The statue as a whole conveys the carving style of the middle Fujiwara period.

========
三重塔 (国指定重要文化財)
Three-storied Pagoda
----- National Important Cultural Property

三重塔は開山智空上人が寛和元年(西紀985年)に創立(erected in 985)後、応永23年    (西紀1416年)に智海僧正が再建したものである。
The three-storied pagoda was erected in the fist year of Kanna (AD 985) by Chiku Sojo, the founder of the Temple, and rebuilt later by Chikai Sojo in the year 23 of Ouei (AD1416).

建物は和様形式を主体とした方三間(=四方三間)、屋根は本瓦葺きで屋根の相輪は青銅製、柱は総て円柱である。軒の出深く、軒隅反転しており、高さは外周地盤より、22.25メートルである。
It is built mainly in Wayo architectural style. Each of its 4 sides measures 3 kens (about 5.4 meters) ; the roofs are covered with Kawara tiles; the Sorin (metal pinnacle on the top of a pagoda) are made of bronze; and all the pillars are round columns. Eaves are deep and their edges are curved upward. Total height of the pagoda is 22.25 meters from the circumference ground.

この塔の最も特徴とする所は、まず最初に軸部を中心に初重、二重、三重を組み立て、そのあとでそれに屋根を組み合わす建築様式で、この種の建物では我が国最古のものである。
The most prominent characteristic of this pagoda is the method of its assembly. The 3 stories were first assembled around the central column, and then the roofs were applied. This is the oldest pagoda in Japan erected in this fashion.

内陣の須弥壇上には、本尊として金剛界の大日如来を祀る。総じて、室町時代特有の手法をよく遺し、党全体の各部比例や、軒反りの調子は寸毫も間然するところなく、その荘重優麗な偉容は厳として四隣を圧している。
Dainichi Nyorai (mahaavairocana in Sanskrit)of Kongo-kai(Diamond Realm) is enshrined on the shumidan (an altar) of its inner sanctum as a principal image. As a whole, the pagoda conveys well the architectural style unique to the Muromachi period. Its portions perfectly balanced and its eaves exquisitely curved, the pagoda radiates grace and magnificence in all directions.

この塔は、大正14年4月24日に国宝に指定され、その後制度の改正に伴い、昭和25年8月29日に改めて国の重要文化財に指定された。
On April 24, 1925, this pagoda was designated as a National Treasure; and on August 29, 1950, according to the revised regulations, it was designated as a National Important Cultural Property.